Who provides PhD and Masters (MA, MSc, MBA, MRes) funding: studentships, scholarships and bursaries?
Who provides funding for postgraduate study in the UK?
Funding for postgraduate students usually comes from one or more of a range of key sources, described briefly below. Examples of most of these types of funding are included in PostgraduateStudentships.co.uk Funding Database, with the exception of funding you may be able to obtain from your Employer and Self-funding:
- Research Councils
- Charities and Trust Funds, including those funded by the UK government
- Higher Education Institutions
- Overseas governments (international students only)
- Professional and Career Development Loans
- Self-funding (including family funds)
These funding sources will all fund either taught or research postgraduate postgraduate study, with the possible exception of Professional and Career Development Loans which are intended to assist students with vocational or career related courses, and may therefore apply more readily to taught courses.