The University of Glasgow is one of the UK’s oldest and most prestigious seats of learning, and is the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world.
The University of Glasgow is recognised internationally for its ground-breaking work and has inspired thinkers from eminent scientist Lord Kelvin to the father of economics Adam Smith.
• 62nd in the QS World University Rankings 2015 which means we are ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world
• 76th Times Higher World University Rankings 2015/16
• 90% satisfaction (National Student Survey 2015)
• Top 3 in the Russell Group for student satisfaction (ISB 2015)
• 92% of students in employment or further study 6 months after graduation (HESA 2013/14)
Glasgow at a glance
• Member of the prestigious Russell Group of 26 leading UK research intensive universities in the UK
• Founder member of Universitas 21, an international grouping of universities dedicated to setting worldwide standards for higher education
• Annual research earnings of more than £181 million
• 2,500 research staff
• More than 7,000 postgraduate students
The city of Glasgow:
• is the UK’s third largest city and one of the world’s top student cities
• has a lively nightlife with more than 700 bars, pubs and nightclubs and seven cinemas, including the tallest in the world
• is the UK’s first UNESCO City of Music, host to around 130 music events every week.
• is consistently voted as the top place to shop in the UK, outside London’s West End
• is home to over 90 parks and public gardens.
• has more than 20 museums and art galleries including the Riverside Museum, which was voted European Museum of the Year 2013
In order to support you prior to and during your time at Glasgow, the University offers a wide range of services to help you make the most of your study.
The University of Glasgow library has one of the biggest collections in Europe and offers access to more than 2.5 million books and 30,000 e-journals. It has study spaces for 2,564 students and is open for 361 days a year. Students have access to more than 800 student PCs at the library, the largest cluster of student PCs on campus, and Wi-Fi access throughout the building.
We offer a range of comfortable and affordable accommodation options for postgraduates, from halls of residence to student apartments. Most new students and all new international students are guaranteed accommodation (subject to our admissions policy) see: Accommodation.
We understand that finance is an important area for students. The university is committed to supporting students and rewarding academic excellence . To find out what help is available, go to: Scholarships and Fees and Student Finance.
General funding sources
For general sources of funding that may apply for study in this department, visit the page(s) below.