The July 2018 deadline has now passed. This entry will be updated as soon as details of the next round of funding are announced. In the meantime, do read on to find out more for future reference about this funding opportunity.

Universities New Zealand – Te Pōkai Tara has invited the CSC to nominate eight candidates for Commonwealth Scholarships for doctoral study in New Zealand starting in early 2019.

The following universities in New Zealand are offering to fund one Commonwealth Scholarship each at varying values:
Auckland University of Technology
Lincoln University 
Massey University 
University of Auckland 
University of Canterbury 
University of Otago 
University of Waikato 
Victoria University of Wellington

More information on eligible subjects and supervisors is available on the individual university websites.
Before starting your application, you must read the following documents:

• Levels of funding offered by each university…
• Rules and Regulations – contains important information about the application process…
• Terms and conditions – must be signed and returned with your application…

Participation in this scholarship scheme is a decision made by each individual university and a university may withdraw at any time. The granting of a scholarship under this programme is at the discretion of the university.

To apply for a scholarship, you must:
• Be a UK citizen (applicants with dual New Zealand/UK citizenship are ineligible)
• Have at least an upper second class honours undergraduate degree (by the time you take up your scholarship)
• Must not already be registered for a PhD at any New Zealand university
• Have thoroughly researched the research programmes and the supervisory capabilities in the departments and faculties of your preferred universities in New Zealand and be able to demonstrate that you have made contact with, and can show some degree of support from, a potential doctoral supervisor.
• Fully informed of the financial basis of the award being offered by the university
• An indication that you have received an offer of a place at your preferred New Zealand university would assist the assessment process but is not mandatory

How to apply
You must submit:
• One original application form. You should specify at least two preferred institutions of study on the form
• One recent passport-size photograph, stapled to your application form in the space provided
• One signed copy of the terms and conditions form
• One certified copy of the relevant page of your passport, or other proof of UK citizenship. This should be attached to the original application form
• One certified copy of any undergraduate or postgraduate transcripts. (It is very important that these list the subjects passed and the grades of pass in each subject; academic records excluding such information cannot be assessed by the universities.) If you have yet to graduate, you should submit one copy of a letter from the university at which you are currently registered giving the details of your grades so far
• One copy of a letter or email from your prospective supervisor in New Zealand offering support for your application

In addition, supporting statements from three referees, two being academic referees with one from your most recent study should be submitted directly to the CSC by the referees themselves, either at the address below or to our email [email protected]. Referees cannot be from a family member. References must be written on an official letterhead, and must include your plan of study within the same document – you therefore need to send your plan of study to your referees.

All applications must be sent in hard copy with supporting documents to:
Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (KBM)
Woburn House
20-24 Tavistock Square

The closing date for receipt of applications is 31 July 2018 at 5pm (BST).

If you have any queries about these scholarships, please email [email protected]
Enquiries about applying for Commonwealth Scholarships or Fellowships for study in the UK sent to this email address will not be answered; please use the Contact us form instead.

Funding Information

Add to list