Masters funding opportunities at University of Salford

Masters and Taught Courses in North West England

Our University’s past is rooted in the great Industrial Revolution of the 19th Century which changed the world. Salford’s thriving textile industry was fed by the Manchester Ship Canal built which was opened in 1894 and gave the city direct trade access to the sea. The Salford docks brought employment until the latter half of the 20th Century when the old industries went into decline. Demand for new industrial skills led to the formation of the Pendleton Mechanics Institute in 1850 and the Salford Working Men’s College in 1858. At the end of the century they merged to create the Royal Technical Institute, Salford, which was opened by the Duke and Duchess of York (who later became King George V and Queen Mary) in 1896.

The statues of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in front of the Salford Museum and Art Gallery commemorate the royal visit to Salford in 1851. Joule House in Acton Square was the home of prominent physicist James Prescott Joule who gave his name to the unit of energy, and the Working Class Museum is just around the corner.  In 1921 the Institute was renamed the Royal Technical College, Salford. However, in 1958 it split into two separate organisations – The Royal College of Advanced Technology and the break-away Peel Park Technical College.