Jorge Otero, PhD student in Sheffield Hallam’s Materials Engineering Research Institute (MERI).
Postgraduate Study at Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Jorge Otero is a PhD student in Sheffield Hallam’s Materials Engineering Research Institute (MERI). He is researching the application of nanolime as a consolidation material in heritage conservation.
“The world of conservation of historic structures is currently enjoying the benefits of newly-developed nanotechnologies. My research is looking at the use of nanolime as a consolidation method for historical calcareous substrates, a process which is not fully understood. I am very enthusiastic about all MERI’s facilities and staff expertise, and the scholarship provides an excellent opportunity to develop my career as a conservation scientist. I feel part of an exciting and growing department and University.”
The Materials and Engineering Research Institute (MERI) is a dynamic interdisciplinary research institute dedicated to addressing industrial problems through the application of fundamental science and engineering.
The experienced team has a highly successful track record applying cutting edge research to find innovative solutions to industry problems. From material analysis to infrastructure management the solutions generate real competitive advantage. The research and consultancy activities are supported by a large advanced equipment base, ranging from the latest electron microscopes to high performance computing hardware.
Sheffield Hallam specialise in research relevant to real life. The majority of activities are focused on real commercial needs and many of the activities are sponsored by companies.
Sheffield Hallam are offering a range of PhD scholarships starting in autumn 2017 - apply before 12 noon on Friday 24 February 2017. For more details, visit our website.
Items associated with this profile
- 3 reasons to study a masters degree at Sheffield Hallam
- Applications are invited for funded PhD Scholarships in Humanities
- Book onto our postgraduate open day and change your life - Weds 01 March 2017
- Engineering GTA Studentship Opportunities
- Funded PhD Scholarship Applications Invited By Sheffield Business School
- Funded PhD Scholarship in Engineering and Physical Sciences: Reducing energy demand
- Funded PhD Scholarship: Bladder tissue engineering using auxetic materials
- Funded PhD Scholarship: Exploring the impact of the NCSEM co-location model on health, social and economic outcomes
- Funded PhD Scholarship: High performance polymers: Towards intrinsically-auxetic polymers
- Funded PhD Scholarship: Pathways to reintegration for female offenders in prison
- Funded PhD Scholarships across four key research themes within the Centre for Health and Social Care Research
- Funded PhD Scholarships in Biomolecular Sciences: Disease Mechanisms, Biomaterials and Bioanalytical Science
- Funded PhD Scholarships in Media & Communications, including Journalism & PR
- Funded PhD Scholarships within the Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research
- Funded PhD Scholarships within the Sheffield Institute of Education
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Advanced forensic mass spectrometry of blood and fingermarks
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Characterising player movement on hybrid football surfaces
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Computing
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Development, verification and validation of automotive interior cabin noise models using coupled...
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Join SHU's Vibrant Community of Art & Design PhD Researchers
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Sport and Physical Activity
- Funded PhD Scholarships: The design, preparation and characterisation of composite, polymer membranes