Rosa Greasley, PhD student researching exercise interventions in men with end stage prostate cancer
Postgraduate Study at Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Rosa Greasley is a PhD student researching exercise interventions in men with end stage prostate cancer or metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. Rosa successfully applied for a fully-funded scholarship in 2015.
Rosa survived childhood lymphoma and her experiences motivated her to pursue a research career and help the fight against cancer.
'My interest in cancer research began at the age of sixteen when I was diagnosed with a type of blood cancer called Hodgkins Lymphoma. My experience during my illness wasn't great, so I wanted to turn this around and bring something positive out of the situation and decided on a career in oncology.
I applied to Sheffield Hallam because they are doing some world leading research in this area and it’s a great opportunity to join a world class research team. My PhD has given me the chance to uniquely offer both patient and scientific perspectives into cancer research and the scholarship that I received has been crucial to my studies.
My main area of research is advanced prostate cancer. My work particularly focuses on exercise interventions in men with end stage prostate cancer or metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. There hasn't been a great amount of research done for this group of patients and they've been quite a neglected group with only a handful of therapeutic developments in recent years. I hope that my work could really transform their quality of life.
Sheffield Hallam has provided me with a great opportunity to carry out this research in an excellent environment but equally with excellent support, especially from my research team who I hope to work with long into the future.'
Sheffield Hallam are offering a range of PhD scholarships starting in autumn 2017 - apply before 12 noon on Friday 24 February 2017. For more details, visit our website.
Items associated with this profile
- 3 reasons to study a masters degree at Sheffield Hallam
- Applications are invited for funded PhD Scholarships in Humanities
- Book onto our postgraduate open day and change your life - Weds 01 March 2017
- Engineering GTA Studentship Opportunities
- Funded PhD Scholarship Applications Invited By Sheffield Business School
- Funded PhD Scholarship in Engineering and Physical Sciences: Reducing energy demand
- Funded PhD Scholarship: Bladder tissue engineering using auxetic materials
- Funded PhD Scholarship: Exploring the impact of the NCSEM co-location model on health, social and economic outcomes
- Funded PhD Scholarship: High performance polymers: Towards intrinsically-auxetic polymers
- Funded PhD Scholarship: Pathways to reintegration for female offenders in prison
- Funded PhD Scholarships across four key research themes within the Centre for Health and Social Care Research
- Funded PhD Scholarships in Biomolecular Sciences: Disease Mechanisms, Biomaterials and Bioanalytical Science
- Funded PhD Scholarships in Media & Communications, including Journalism & PR
- Funded PhD Scholarships within the Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research
- Funded PhD Scholarships within the Sheffield Institute of Education
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Advanced forensic mass spectrometry of blood and fingermarks
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Characterising player movement on hybrid football surfaces
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Computing
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Development, verification and validation of automotive interior cabin noise models using coupled...
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Join SHU's Vibrant Community of Art & Design PhD Researchers
- Funded PhD Scholarships: Sport and Physical Activity
- Funded PhD Scholarships: The design, preparation and characterisation of composite, polymer membranes