Who provides PhD and Masters (MA, MSc, MBA, MRes) funding: studentships, scholarships and bursaries?

Who provides funding for postgraduate study in the UK?
Funding for postgraduate students usually comes from one or more of a range of key sources, described briefly below. Examples of most of these types of funding are included in PostgraduateStudentships.co.uk Funding Database, with the exception of funding you may be able to obtain from your Employer and Self-funding:
- Research Councils
- Charities and General Funders, including those funded by the UK government
- Universities
- Overseas governments (international students only)
- Employers
- Postgraduate Loan for Masters Students
- Postgraduate Loan for PhD Students
- Other Postgraduate Loan Providers
- Self-funding (including family funds)
Most of the funding listed on PostgraduateStudentships at any time applies to study in the UK, although there are some exceptions and some funding is listed for universities in Europe and occasionally outside Europe.
You can start looking now for Masters funding and PhD funding.
For more advice and information see our TalkPostgrad pages.