Are you a civil engineering graduate? Do you want to improve your technical knowledge and enhance your career prospects? Our MSc programme will deepen and broaden your understanding of civil engineering and help you fulfil your professional role in creating, improving and protecting the environment. You’ll obtain advanced analytical skills in the core subject areas of structural analysis, geotechnics and hydraulics applying your knowledge in a range of project settings.
• Benefit from a postgraduate degree accredited as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired an Accredited CEng (Partial) BEng (Hons) or an Accredited IEng (Full) BEng/BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree. See www.jbm.org.uk for further information.
• Be inspired by our new £19 million Marine Building, housing the acclaimed COAST laboratory which offers facilities for teaching water and coastal engineering as well as conducting world-class research.
• Explore our core content including advanced structural, geotechnical and hydraulic engineering analysis.
• Broaden your knowledge - other taught modules include project management and professional practice.
• Undertake a dissertation relating to the range of ongoing civil engineering research in the School of Marine Science and Engineering.
• Recent graduates work in a wide range of consultant, contractor and client organisations, including: Hyder Consulting, Babcock International Group plc, Manhire Associates Consulting Engineers and Maverick Ventures UK Ltd.
You’ll need a minimum of a lower second-class BEng honours degree (2:2) in civil engineering or an upper second-class BSc honours degree (2:1) in civil engineering.
If you have considerable professional experience and can evidence an academic ability to undergraduate degree levels you may also be considered.
If you have overseas qualifications you can check your comparability with the UK equivalent through NARIC, who provide an advisory service.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English then evidence of English proficiency is required. The level of proficiency that is required can vary with the type of programme for which you are applying.
The minimum IELTS score for acceptable English proficiency for entry is normally 6.5.
Careers - MSc Civil Engineering
This programme offers excellent career prospects.