Fully-funded PhD Scholarship - Regional Economic Forecasting in the United Kingdom in the Era of Big Data
Department of Economics
Strathclyde Business School
This PhD will develop a set of UK regional forecasting models and produce real-time forecasts of key macroeconomic variables. This involves: i) extending existing econometric methods to produce a MF model appropriate for UK regional forecasting, ii) implementing these models and evaluating their forecast performance, iii) extending the MF model to handle data of the dimensions envisaged in the Large VAR literature- this final element will encompass increasing the number of predictors but also increasing the range of variables for which are forecasts. This PhD represents a major step forward in the analytical forecasting capability available to UK regional policymakers.
Candidates are required to have:
- An excellent undergraduate degree with Honours in a relevant business, scientific/technological or social science subject
- A Masters degree (or equivalent) will be strongly preferred
- Students may also have other relevant experience or skills which are relevant to this project
- Candidates who are not native English speakers will be required to provide evidence for their English skills (such as by IELTS or similar tests that are approved by UKVI, or a degree completed in an English speaking country)
- Start month:
1 October 2017
- Funding applies to:
- Open to applicants from a range of countries
- Funding notes:
Stipend: £14,652 pa. Whilst open to International candidates, please note that this scholarship covers Home/EU/RUK Fee rate only.